Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Homeade Granola

Thank you Mrs. Beeler (check out blog the sensory smart mommy)! We have a new love for granola at our house and we eat it for breakfast, however the newest recipe I used peanut butter with it tonight! We will see what the bish boys think of it now! I officially have the books for the Feingold diet and we will be starting as soon as I understand part of it or think I do!!!

Homemade Granola Cereal
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir and heat together the following:
1 cup pure organic maple syrup
1 1/2 cup butter
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar free apple juice concentrate
1 tbsp. maple or vanilla flavoring
1 tsp. salt
In a large bowl mix dry ingredients:
12 cups old fashioned (rolled) oats
3 cups unsweetened coconut
1 cup ground flaxseed
3 cups chopped/ground pecans or almonds
Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix well.
Bake on cookie sheets or a large pan for 20-30 minutes
stirring every 5 minutes to avoid burning edges.
Store in airtight container. Makes 24 cups.

You can substitute whatever you want to make up for the
19 cups dry matter. Try wheat germ, oat bran, sesame, sunflower or pumpkin seeds
or anything you think sounds good. Can also substitute peanut butter
for 1/2 of the butter for a delicious variation! After it is baked you can even throw in raisins or dates if that's your style!

I made the second recipe and substituted half the butter for natural peanut butter, took out the coconuts (neither Mike nor I care for them) and instead just used another 2 1/2 cups of oats. I also put my nuts in my hand chopper (from Wal-Mart) and chopped them finely so they blended in well. I love the way the recipe came out and am thinking in my mind how to make it into granola bars for snacks for the children (and me!). When shopping for this recipe I was very grateful for the bulk grocery stores we have in our area. They make shopping less expensive and more efficient and I was able to get the oats, flax, and almonds for much less than at Wal-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment